want to make your initial appointment go as smooth as possible?
At your first visit with Schad and Schad, Sam or Larry Schad will sit down with you to talk about your case. Both Larry and Sam have decades of experience handling disability, and will get to the issues of your disability case quickly.
We believe that the best representation in disability claims is honest and to the point. In keeping with that philosophy, we need you to be prepared to discuss hard realities- followed by innovative solutions- to the problems your case might face.
The Sequential Evaluation Process
Most of our discussion will revolve around the "sequential evaluation process" utilized by the SSA. Whether we like it or not, this is the process that will guide the SSA as well as us. We want you to be familiar with it from the start.
So what does it mean when we talk about "the process"? Here's a quick overview:
- We'll talk about work- how much you might have done, when you last worked, and the types of jobs you've had in the past.
- We'll talk about the problems you are suffering; and
- Whether or not those problems are bad enough to meet the SSA's 'stock' definitions of disability. If they don't-
- We'll talk about what you can still do despite your problems and if this would allow you to do your past work. And finally:
- We'll talk about whether or not you could do other work (and if that even matters in your particular case).
The Application Process
We'll also talk about filing the application (or an appeal) and what that process holds. (We actually recommend to folks that they let us file the claim for them. For more info, click to read this blog post by Sam). Either way, we will spend substantial time making sure you understand the process.
What Should You Bring?
We encourage clients, as often as possible, to bring the whole kitchen sink to their initial appointment. If you've got a box of medical records (or two), bring it. There's just no telling what can make a difference.
But if you DON'T have a whole slew of records, don't worry about it. Most of the time, we can make decisions without having the medical evidence in front of us. But we do like to have it when we can.
You DO NOT need to go and get records for us, unless we specifically ask. After all, that's what you might be paying us to do! Let us do it for you- we're old pros.
Most of All- Thank You!
We really appreciate the fact that you have considered Schad and Schad for assistance in your Social Security Disability and/or Supplemental Security Income claim. We look forward to meeting you!